qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [6989] Fix display breakage when resizing the screen (v

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [6989] Fix display breakage when resizing the screen (v2) (Avi Kivity)
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 09:29:11 -0500

Stefano Stabellini wrote:
Anthony Liguori wrote:

While I understand the problem this patch tries to fix I think the way
it fixes it is wrong.

First of all this patch breaks the VC switching mechanism in qemu: just
execute sleep 2; startx; in the first VC, then switch to the monitor and
wait.
Secondly it doesn't follow the basic idea behind the DisplayState
surface: it is supposed to be a pixel surface provided by the vga
emulator to the frontends, cirrus shouldn't have to care what size it is.
In fact cirrus emulates bitblit operations on the emulated framebuffer,
not on the DisplayState surface; if it does so is a bug and should be fixed.

For these reasons I think this patch should be reverted.

Avi/Stefano, can one of you guys put together a proper patch?

Right now, it's better not to revert this patch because without it, our test suite cannot run. However, I agree this is the wrong fix so we need to get a proper fix as soon as we can.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori