qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] start qemu failed with --enable-kvm -vga std

From: Glauber Costa
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] start qemu failed with --enable-kvm -vga std
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 10:25:51 -0300

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> wrote:
> Peng Huang wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The HEAD version qemu can not execute a VM with --enable-kvm -vga std or
>> -vga vmware on kernel 2.6.29.1-46.fc11.x86_64. I found it is because of qemu
>> call cpu_register_physical_memory with a wrong size. Below patch can fix it
>> on my box. Please test it.
>
> Glauber came up with a similar patch for kvm-userspace and is currently
> attempting to root cause the issue.

I believe this is in fact the root cause. KVM slot management code
probably require
memory to be page aligned. By trying to register a region that is not
page aligned,
the ioctl may fail. I, however, did not see this happening in qemu
upstream (only kvm-userspace),
and have absolutely no idea about why. But the patch makes perfect sense to me.

--
Glauber  Costa.
"Free as in Freedom"

"The less confident you are, the more serious you have to act."