qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Total instruction count

From: Han Wang
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Total instruction count
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 12:13:31 -0400

Hi, All,

   This is a question regarding getting a total count of instructions being executed in qemu.
   I would like to know how much instruction it takes to boot into linux on a arm based processor.
   This is what I have done:
    - I used qemu-system-arm
    - I made a sd card image which contains the proper kernel, uImage and boot loader
    - I booted the system using this command ./qemu-system-arm -M beagle -sd /dev/mmcblk0
   Note that I used the mameo3-port of qemu to work on beagle board emulation.

   There is an -d option in qemu-system-arm that allows me to do some logging. However, after counting the total number of instruction that has been logged.
   I doubt that the -d option only logs the instructions that have been translated, not the instructions that are actually executed. Since the total count I get from my log file is way smaller than what is should be.

   I wonder if there is anyway, or what modification should I do, to let qemu log the total number of instructions that has been executed. It may involves break the direct block-chaining mechanism inside qemu, I presume. Any advice?

--
Han Wang
Electrical and Computer Engineering