qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Switch to GIT. Why?

From: Erik de Castro Lopo
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Switch to GIT. Why?
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 15:52:57 +1000

C.W. Betts wrote:

> Perhaps this has already been answered on the boards, but why was
> there a move to GIT?

I can't answer specifically for the Qemu case, but generally distributed
version control systems (DVCS) like git, bzr, hg, darcs etc are better for
distributed development than centralized systems like cvs and svn.

Above all, dvcs' are far better at handling and merging multiple branches.
I use svn at work, and I do realise that svn recently got much better at
merging between branches than it was, but it is still a poor cousin to
the others in this regard.

> The main reason why I ask is because I don't have GIT installed on my
> system.

You're sending email using a Mac so this may be what you are
after:

    http://code.google.com/p/git-osx-installer/

On Debian/Ubuntu based Linux systems:

   apt-get install git

On Fedora Linux:

   yum install git

> Is it possible to set it up so that GIT has an SVN back-end?

Not that I know of.

Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo
http://www.mega-nerd.com/