qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] branch and tag names

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] branch and tag names
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 19:32:01 +0200

Am 27.04.2009 um 08:33 schrieb Avi Kivity:

Andreas Färber wrote:

I don't see the point of having stable/0.10 though. Why do we need multiple stable? stable will be branched as v0.10.x, then after the last 0.10.x release, stable can be hard-reset to master and branched as v0.11.x when ready, and so on.

Repurposing branches is evil. Someone regularly pulls for stable, one day it changes to something completely different. Curses.

Hm, I was rather thinking of a *user* wanting to have the latest stable code. If she works on stable/0.10, the code'll start to bitrot some day and she'll have to find out what the name of the newest stable branch is.

Git itself has maint, next and master, plus the tagged versions.
http://repo.or.cz/w/git.git
maint would correspond to 0.10.x, next to 0.11.x-to-be.

I would've thought all the unused branches in SVN would stem from the enforcement of tagging from a branch and them not being visible to the average user from a day-to-day command such as `git branch`.

Andreas