qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: updating git tree

From: Jan Kiszka
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: updating git tree
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 12:20:48 +0200

Kevin Wolf wrote:
> Jan Kiszka schrieb:
>> Christoph Egger wrote:
>>> Unlike 'svn update', a 'git pull' doesn't automatically merge local changes.
>>> git fails instead. git is missing this 'automatic merge on pull' feature.
>>> If you have local changes, you must do
>>>
>>> git stash ; git pull ; git stash pop
>>>
>>> Christoph
>>>
>>> P.S.: With mercurial you do 'hg pull -u' and local changes are automatically
>>> merged.
>> If you have non-trivial changes pending, probably in multiple commits, I
>> can only recommend using stgit (or guilt) to compensate the missing
>> patch queue feature of git. It allows you to easily navigate back and
>> forth in your patch queues before finally posting them.
>
> I haven't used these yet. Is there a real benefit compared to using a
> normal git branch and rebase -i? Maybe I should try them if so.

I'm not only talking about rebasing, also about working within your
patch queue, editing patches in their middle, splitting it up,
reordering it etc. There are surely ways to do this with native git
(stgit is just a front-end and uses normal git), but that's not done
with two or three git commands.

Jan