qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: text updates slow after commit 7d957bd8cbcbf56f7916d375

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: text updates slow after commit 7d957bd8cbcbf56f7916d375e65042d767f544b5
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 17:12:00 -0500

Chris Frey wrote:
On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 04:40:58PM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
What's your configuration (host type, etc.)?  Are you remoting over X?

Oops, forgot to say that I am using X through an SSH forward.

        ssh -Y -a -2 ...

That's what I figured.  You should use -vnc instead.

In the 0.10.x series, we changed the way we interact with libsdl. We're now relying on libsdl to do pixel conversion. It appears that SDL is sending a lot more data to the X server when you do this than it was previously. The result is a marked slowdown when remoting QEMU over X.

Fortunately, we have an integrated remoting mechanism (-vnc) that doesn't suffer from these problems.

If you think this really should be addressed, I'd suggest reporting it to the SDL community as they're the ones who are best positioned to detect that it's a remote X server and then do local conversion appropriately. Alternatively, I suspect using an X protocol optimizer (like NX) would make this problem go away.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

- Chris