qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] updating git tree

From: François Revol
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] updating git tree
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 10:51:08 +0200 CEST

<rant cause="I'm right but you might not have time to read it">

> >> That I guessed, but there is no way to forbid commiting deleted
> > > files
> >> at once...
>
> There is.
>
> git-commit by default commits exactly what you staged in the index.
> If
> you staged a delete, it'll commit a delete.  If you don't want that,
> unstage it, say with git-add or git-reset.
>
> git-commit can also bypass the index.  Just list the files you want
> commit.  If a listed file no longer exists, the commit will remove
> it.

This sounds confuse...
anyway.

> > (overengineering)
>
> If you want a diff, use git-diff.
>
> If you want e-mail ready for sending, use git-format-patch.

I want a patch ready to submit, that is, a diff with the Signed-off-by
tag as it is supposed to be able to do this, and the commit summary as
it knows about it.

There is no reason it would make me a mail in any format that I don't
use.
mbox is not standard, despite it storing messages themselves in RFC
format.

<obvious>
Besides the command is named git format-*patch* *not* format-mail!
</obvious>

> Me thinks you are still fighting the tool instead of working with it.
> No happiness found down that way.

It's the tool that is fighting me instead of doing what I want it to
do.
It tries to impose a format on me that I don't want.
There is no reason I want to setup a mail account on this box while I
have all my mail on another box on another OS in another format (almost
maildir just better). And I don't like having send-mails hiding
elsewhere.

Why does it think I want to let it send mails for me ? I don't like
apps that does things behind my back, that sounds so Windows-ish. :^\
I thought UNIX philosophy was all about interoperability...

</rant>

Let's see if it still works today...

No commit since fc1c67bc2a43a53f7315b602e0c67f9604835fe1 ?
Hmm oh, no way to do a "git log" on a git: url without a clone ?

Btw, front page: "The a QEMU repository" typo. It could reuse a link
too...
http://savannah.nongnu.org/git/?group=qemu ?

François.