qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Bring in all the Linux headers we depend on in QE

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Bring in all the Linux headers we depend on in QEMU
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 08:14:25 -0500

Avi Kivity wrote:
<random kernel tree>

Developers, in particular, like to point things at their random kernel trees. In general though, relying on a full kernel source tree being available isn't a good idea. Kernel headers change dramatically across versions too so it's very likely that we would need to have a lot of #ifdefs dependent on kernel versions, or some of the uglier work arounds we have in usb-linux.c.

I think the best way to avoid #ifdefs and dependencies on broken/incomplete glibc headers is to include all of the Linux headers we need within QEMU. The attached patch does just this.

I think there's room for discussion about whether we really want to do this. We could potentially depend on some more common glibc headers (like asm/types.h) while bringing in less reliable headers (if_tun.h/virtio*). Including them all seems like the most robust solution to me though.

Comments?

I think we need to use the output of 'make headers-install', which removes things like __user and CONFIG_*.

I was thinking about that as a possibility too. We still need the same basic infrastructure though.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori