qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Bring in all the Linux headers we depend on in QE

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Bring in all the Linux headers we depend on in QEMU
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 16:28:16 +0300

Anthony Liguori wrote:
Stefan Weil wrote:
Anthony Liguori schrieb:
For Debian systems, those headers are installed by package linux-libc-dev.
There are also packages for cross compilation in emdebian
(linux-libc-dev-mips-cross, linux-libc-dev-powerpc-cross, ...).

Yes, those headers did not always match the features of the current kernel, so --enable-kvm did not work. This is fixed now - there is a linux-libc-dev
2.6.29-3 which is up-to-date.

So, at the moment I see no need to fill the QEMU source tree with
linux header files.

We can not just rely on everyone who uses QEMU to use the latest version of Debian...

The fact is, linux-libc-dev is *not* meant for applications to use as the official kernel ABI. We shouldn't depend on it.

At least on Fedora, kernel-headers is. It is installed in /usr/include/linux and is synced (sorta) to the installed kernel.

Carrying a subset of kernel headers is a bit too much, IMO.

kvm is a special case since it is available externally.

--
Do not meddle in the internals of kernels, for they are subtle and quick to
panic.