qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Bring in all the Linux headers we depend on in QE

From: Edgar E. Iglesias
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Bring in all the Linux headers we depend on in QEMU
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 15:44:45 +0200

On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 08:15:58AM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Edgar E. Iglesias wrote:
>> I don't feel very strongly about it but my gut feeling tells me we
>> shouldn't be doing this.
>>

> We have to.  It's not just KVM, it's virtio, tun/tap, and as we add more
> things to the Linux kernel to support QEMU, it'll just grow larger.

I'm not sure we have too. QEMU users that build from source can IMO
be expected to update kernel headers if required and if our configure
is explicit about it. "You didn't get feature x because you have an
old kernel or old kernel headers" kind of warning.

Another alternative is to provide an option so users can specify
where to find alternative kernel-headers. IIRC other I've seen
this approach in several other projects.

I agree with you that the compat ifdefs are annoying though...

> This is how applications are supposed to use kernel headers.  It's
> unpleasant, but that's just the way Linux is today.

Do you mean that all apps using linux header files should bring those
in?

Cheers