qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How does a system call work on QEMU?

From: Fernando Carrijo
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How does a system call work on QEMU?
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 11:41:35 -0300

On Sun, 2009-05-17 at 10:46 +0200, Heli wrote:
> So it this the architecture of qemu, emulator version?
> QEMU is a process that gives to o.s.guest a virtual hw
> layer.
> Every guest will be run by a QEMU instance.
>
> See picture schema I prepaired: http://yfrog.com/7gqemulayersj
>
> So system calls go from a guest application to its
> operating system that communicates with its virtual
> hardware. QEMU receives a system call and software emulator
> QEMU performs a system call in O.S. host.
> It is right?

I'm not a virtualization person myself, so other people might offer you
more convenient sugestions but, with the due respect, I think you might
be better served by an introductory text on operating systems. The 3rd
edition of Andrew Tanenbaum's Modern Operating Systems, for instance,
has a short section specifically devoted to virtualization which is
clear enough to non-experienced readers and, I guess, answers most of
your questions.

Fernando Carrijo.