qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Native Port of QEMU to Haiku

From: Michael Lotz
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Native Port of QEMU to Haiku
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 13:46:35

Hi there

I'm one of the developers that work on the Haiku OS and have also been
maintaining the BeOS/Haiku port of QEMU for the last couple of years.
Due to BeOS being locked into GCC 2.95.3 and our commitment to provide
binary compatibility with BeOS R5 in the first Haiku release, getting
this port to work and maintaining it has been a lot of work and largely
just a hack.

Haiku however also has a native GCC 4.3.3 toolchain since some time and
I brought the QEMU port up to date using it. Since QEMU is pure C, it
was possible to mix the Haiku display part and audio backend compiled
with GCC 2.95.3 with a GCC 4.3.3 compiled QEMU core (this doesn't
require any code changes and will simply continue to work once we
migrate fully to GCC 4). This made it possible to do a much cleaner
port that I think could now also be commited into the QEMU repository.

Since BeOS is not going anywhere and since it is stuck with the old
GCC, I've removed all the leftovers from the original BeOS port so the
final patch simply adds native Haiku support to QEMU.

The patch linked below is against the 0.10.4 release sources including
kqemu in a kqemu subdirectory. Please advice if you would be willing to
include this work into your repository. If necessary I can split this
up into multiple patches providing more detailed info on the different
parts or diff it against more current sources. Please just let me know.

http://haiku.mlotz.ch/qemu-0.10.4-haiku.diff

Regards
Michael