qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] block/raw-posix.c:hdev_create() on FreeBSD and in gener

From: M. Warner Losh
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] block/raw-posix.c:hdev_create() on FreeBSD and in general
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 08:41:24 -0600 (MDT)

In message: <address@hidden>
            Christoph Hellwig <address@hidden> writes:
: Didn't FreeBSD do away with block device nodes in the 4.x release cycle?

Yes.  Block devices are a quaint relic of the past, and aren't
needed. :)

: In that case we will never allow to create host devices on FreeBSD
: with this code.

Yes, on FreeBSD, just use the char dev.

: Also I think we should allow creating the host devices on all supported
: operating systems.  For Linux we should use block devices, for FreeBSD
: always char devices.  For the other BSDs and Solaris do we allow only
: block or also the raw char devices?  Not sure if they actually support
: O_DIRECT for block devices nodes which pretty much is a Linux-ism so
: for cache=none at least we should probably open the raw nodes..

Other BSDs still have block devices.  O_DIRECT is supported in at
least NetBSD (and FreeBSD).

Warner