qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [Qemu-commits] [COMMIT f80f9ec] Convert machine reg

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [Qemu-commits] [COMMIT f80f9ec] Convert machine registration to use module initfunctions
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 20:34:48 -0500

Glauber Costa wrote:
From: Anthony Liguori <address@hidden>

This cleans up quite a lot of #ifdefs, extern variables, and other
ugliness.
This changes the default for at least the ARM target, which I consider to be a bug. Worse than that, the default is now arbitrary and depends on unspecified toolchain implementation details.
How about we start sending patches to the list? Then this kind of thing can be
avoided.

It doesn't magically solve the problem. I post most patches and still regressions slip in. I review every patch I commit and still regressions slip in. People are imperfect.

The best way to prevent regressions is to have an automated test suite that everyone can use to validate that a series of patches doesn't break things.

Note that although at first there is nothing wrong with just messing around with
the devel repository, this kind of thing breaks bisectability of the tree, which is kind of a pain.

You can always --skip. I understand your point. In this case, the patch was very large and mostly mechanical. There was a design flaw but I didn't expect to get much useful feedback because of the shear amount of things it touched.

Regression tests are the only way we're going to really solve this problem.

--
Regards,

Anthony Liguori