qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [Qemu-commits] [COMMIT f80f9ec] Convert machine reg

From: Glauber Costa
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [Qemu-commits] [COMMIT f80f9ec] Convert machine registration to use module initfunctions
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 22:49:57 -0300

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 08:34:48PM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Glauber Costa wrote:

>>> This changes the default for at least the ARM target, which I
>>> consider to be a bug. Worse than that, the default is now arbitrary
>>> and depends on unspecified toolchain implementation details.
>>>
>> How about we start sending patches to the list? Then this kind of thing can
>> be avoided.
>>

> It doesn't magically solve the problem.  I post most patches and still
> regressions slip in.  I review every patch I commit and still
> regressions slip in.  People are imperfect.
true.

> The best way to prevent regressions is to have an automated test suite
> that everyone can use to validate that a series of patches doesn't break
> things.
true...

>> Note that although at first there is nothing wrong with just messing around
>> with
>> the devel repository, this kind of thing breaks bisectability of the
>> tree, which is kind of a pain.
>>

> You can always --skip.  I understand your point.  In this case, the
> patch was very large and mostly mechanical.  There was a design flaw but
> I didn't expect to get much useful feedback because of the shear amount
> of things it touched.

however, for a lot of patches that recently went in, there were discussions
_after_ the patch made its way to the repository. The discussions help,
everybody
does that. Giving people a chance to stand up and raise valid points before
a change is made to the repository is at the very least, a polite attitude to be
taken. And although I agree with you that it does not solve all problems, it
really does help improving the situation by a huge leap.