qemu-devel

Re: autotest (was Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [Qemu-commits] [COMMIT f80f9ec] C

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: autotest (was Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [Qemu-commits] [COMMIT f80f9ec] Convert machine registration to use module initfunctions)
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 14:46:42 -0500

Dor Laor wrote:
Anthony Liguori wrote:
Glauber Costa wrote:
How about we start sending patches to the list? Then this kind of thing can be avoided.

It doesn't magically solve the problem. I post most patches and still regressions slip in. I review every patch I commit and still regressions slip in. People are imperfect.

The best way to prevent regressions is to have an automated test suite that everyone can use to validate that a series of patches doesn't break things.
We have such a frame work, it's the kvm autotest project - http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/KVM-Autotest.

Autotest doesn't currently test the regressions that I want to test. But yeah, I agree with the general point that whatever we use as a regression suite ought to be drivable by autotest.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori