qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Patch: Adding ability for qemu-img to create SCSI VMwar

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Patch: Adding ability for qemu-img to create SCSI VMware disk images
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 09:29:16 +0200

Anthony Liguori schrieb:
> Kevin Wolf wrote:
>> Anthony Liguori schrieb:

>>> If it's not useful for QEMU, then I don't see that it's worth
>>> maintaining within QEMU.
>>>
>> Then I wonder why we have the compat6 option for VMDK. I would be rather
>> surprised if it was useful for qemu itself.
>>

> Yup.  I don't like the compat6 patch either as it's pretty invasive.

Hm, we're both talking about ec36ba1? Because I can't see how it is
invasing, with the exception of the changes to qemu-img. But we don't
need these any more, we have -o now.

>> FWIW, I know that SUSE had a use for these SCSI VMDKs and they carry a
>> local patch for it. I would prefer to have such things upstream, even if
>> it's just for exporting. After all, qemu-img is the Swiss army knife for
>> images.
>>

> If there's support for it, we can take it.  I worry about adding
> features that aren't widely useful as they add complexity and make it
> hard to refactor things.
>
> Introducing BLOCK_FLAG_BUSLOGIC and BLOCK_FLAG_LSILOGIC seems very wrong
> to me.  You're happy with it?

No, I'm not happy with this particular patch, especially given that it
doesn't apply to master any more. ;-)

You said this was "not useful", so I'm just talking of the
functionality, independent of the code. And code-wise, it really should
be only a few lines to vmdk - which makes the create function longer by
maybe five lines, but hardly more complex.

Kevin