qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Thanx for the kqemu patches; some notes about NetBSD/Op

From: Sebastian Herbszt
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Thanx for the kqemu patches; some notes about NetBSD/OpenBSD guests
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 01:06:31 +0200

Juergen Lock wrote:
2. NetBSD doesn't seem to particularly like qemu's acpi tables, it
apparenly doesn't find a pci bus and anything on it in that case
(like a nic our audio card; `pcictl pci0 list' says Device not configured.)

3. When I disable acpi either via the boot menu or via -no-acpi it still
has trouble assigning pci irqs correctly (like, uses irq 12 instead of 11
for the nic) - this seems to have something to do with the emulated
io-apic that it still picks up in that case - if I disable that by
building a new bios that has this patch reverted,
pc-bios/bios-pq/0003_kvm-bios-generate-mptable-unconditionally.patch
the irqs at least get assigned correctly.  (Maybe the bios should only
pass an mptable for a single cpu when there also is acpi?)

With "-no-acpi" there is no PIIX4 PM added to the bus. If i don't mistake the
mp and acpi tables aren't affected by this.

The mptable doesn't contain a pci bus entry (just isa). The linux kernel does
complain if booted with "acpi=off"; maybe NetBSD is more picky.

Oh, if anyone wants dmesg.s of the various with/without acpi/io-apic
combinations I can post those too, the patched bios I just put at:
http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/qemu/pc-bios-0.10.5-no-default-mptable/bios.bin

I would like to see the output.

(I had to end up building it on a Linux guest, our assembler said things
like
rombios32start.S:56: Error: `0(%ebx)' is not a valid 16 bit base/index
expression
.)

What's your tool chain (gcc, binutils,...) ?

- Sebastian