qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Killing KQEMU

From: Chris Frey
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Killing KQEMU
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 17:34:49 -0400

On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 09:30:42PM +0100, Paul Brook wrote:
> They're horrid hacks that I only reluctantly created in the first place.
> Limiting guest physical memory to 4G is a fairly serous issue. Requiring the
> user specify how much ram they require upfront will not be acceptable once we
> have machine config files.

I see.  Let me thank you then for adding those hacks.  I'm a user
that truly appreciates it.

> Sure, but this is actually part of my point.  If noone cares enough to
> track+test the development branch, then it just proves how little anyone
> actually cares about kqemu.

I do.  I can't do it every day, but every so often I do a git fetch and
try it out.  I can report that Fedora 10 hangs during boot using kqemu
1.4.0pre1 and git 34aee2552fb5f4329d59a60f939656214b26d7f8 (0.10.4),
but that if I can coax it past the startup of services, it runs fine
after that.  That coaxing is easier said than done, though, so I'm assuming
it is some kind of kqemu race.  Unfortunately, I have no more data than that,
and not enough expertise yet to find out why.

> [1] Unsupportable == I'm not letting it anywhere near my production systems.
> When it breaks you keep both pieces, and it's unlikely anyone knows how to
> glue them back together again.

That's understandable.  But for a developer like me, kqemu sure saves a lot
of time when it works.

- Chris