qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Suggestions

From: Kent Harris
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Suggestions
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 11:32:10 -0700

Anthony,

Give me a moment of your time to see if I can convince you otherwise. I appreciate the difficulty in catering to every Tom, Dick, and Harry's request for support.

I build extremely complex embedded systems where procedural programming and methodologies like functional decomposition are not practical. I build large information models in advance of coding and then use an object-oriented (OO) language to implement the models, in this case C++. Inheritance hierarchies, instantiation relationships, compositional relationships, etc. are all modeled in advance (I don't use a tool, just paper, pencil, and thinking.) Programming in a non- OO language would be beyond painful.

The delta you have right now between what you have and what C++ needs is only a handful of source lines and the changes are trivial. If you choose not to accommodate such you will blocking all the folks who need OO development methodologies.

QEMU is a wonderful technology and you have done a remarkable job in creating and promoting it. I wouldn't ask if the task to support C++ were significant but as the delta is so small you would be opening QEMU up to the embedded folks like myself who use lesser known operating systems and need to create behavioral models of complex devices.

Thanks for your time, I won't bug you anymore.

- Kent Harris