qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu + CUDA: a new possible way?

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu + CUDA: a new possible way?
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 03:42:33 +0100

> Recently, reading some technical articles over internet, I have
> discoverd the big potentialities of the CUDA framework in relation to
> the scientific and graphic computing that takes strong advantage from
> the most recent GPUs. Someone has used it for password recovery,
> realtime rendering, etc, with great results.

Most of these problems are what's known as embarrassingly parallel. It's
trivial to split them up into many small independent pieces. A GPU contains
hundreds or thousands of small, loosely coupled, low power processing units so
is a good fit for this kind of problem.

Most of the work that qemu does is completely the opposite. Every step is
highly dependent on the preceding steps, so you have to execute them in
series.

If you really think you have figured our some magic way around this then your
first step should be to make qemu work over a small number (say 8 or 16) of
tightly coupled CPU cores. If you can't do that then you haven't got a hope in
hell of making it work over a vast number of remote GPU cores.

Paul