qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Killing KQEMU

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Killing KQEMU
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 12:27:09 +0100

> > [1] Unsupportable == I'm not letting it anywhere near my production
> > systems.

>And that's exactly my point about KVM: What "production systems" are
>you talking of?!

Any machine that isn't completely disposable. For most users this includes
their local workstation.

> A very nice use case of QEMU is that it works cross-platform, cross-
> hardware.

This actually argues against using kqemu as it only works in on "native"
hosts.

>Or the other direction: We got/made disk images for courses at
>university and had to analyze them somewhere. Even with malicious root
>kits and stuff installed, we did not run into apparent issues
>virtualizing them.

You've been lucky then. I bet the only reason you haven't seen any problems is
because kqemu is too obscure for anyone to bother attacking it.

>With GbE connections you can easily transfer disk images around,
>accompanied by original checksums and a tiny shell script to run them
>- use cases that VMware, VirtualBox and KVM cannot keep up with yet.

Neither can kqemu. Installing an unsupported third party kernel module is
about the worst thing you can do from a security and stability standpoint. I'd
expect any respectably sysadmin to laugh and kick you out if you requested
they do this on any of their shared machines.

Paul