qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: POLL: Why do you use kqemu?

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: POLL: Why do you use kqemu?
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 08:01:52 +0300

Jan Kiszka wrote:
Maybe the backwards compatibility features should be ported to QEMU?
For example, is there a workaround for
#error Missing KVM capability KVM_CAP_DESTROY_MEMORY_REGION_WORKS
?

Given that we have always-up-to-date kvm-kmod packages with support down
to reasonable kernel versions, I would prefer to keep upstream clean
from old workarounds. They should only be needed for issues found very
recently (KVM_CAP_JOIN_MEMORY_REGIONS_WORKS) or that might be found in
the future.

Requiring the latest up-to-date modules is pushing the problem to the users. Sometimes there is no choice, but when there is, the implementation that cares about its uses prefer unclean code and functionality over perfection and brokenness.

--
Do not meddle in the internals of kernels, for they are subtle and quick to
panic.