qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] POLL: Why do you use kqemu?

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] POLL: Why do you use kqemu?
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 08:59:30 +0300

Jamie Lokier wrote:
Johannes Schindelin wrote:
Yeah I don't either.  I actually thought kvm had replaced it effectively.
You might have realized from the available answers that not everybody is lucky enough to be able to afford 2 week old hardware, and therefore not everybody is able to use kvm.

Plus kvm's not suitable for some guests.  I'm thinking old Windows
guests with 16-bit kernel code here.

kvm on amd will run these perfectly.

It has come up before that kvm will eventually support 16-bit code
better, although I got the impression that it would never support full
16-bit virtualisation accurately, so e.g. Windows 95 will not run on
it, nor some other partially 16-bit OSes.  Possibly not even very old
versions of Linux, I'm not sure.

Don't ask me _why_ I want to run them. :-)

Just a data point that it's not just about the host hardware, and as
far as I know kqemu can accelerate them.

It falls back to qemu for 16-bit code.

--
Do not meddle in the internals of kernels, for they are subtle and quick to
panic.