qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: POLL: Why do you use kqemu?

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: POLL: Why do you use kqemu?
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 16:06:44 +0300

Jan Kiszka wrote:
And the fact that kqemu has to use tcg in order to achieve a reasonable
performance is rather a disadvantage. The complexity and overhead for
synchronizing tcg with the in-kernel accelerator is enormous. If there
were a feasible way to overcome this with kqemu, it would benefit a lot.
But unfortunately there is none (given you don't want to invest
reasonable efforts).

Note that kvm suffers from something similar (to a smaller magnitude) as well: if a guest pages in its page tables, kvm knows nothing about it and will thus have outdated shadows. To date we haven't encountered a problem with it, but it's conceivable. I think Windows can page its page tables, but maybe it's disabled by default, or maybe it doesn't dma directly into the page tables.

Not sure how to fix. Maybe write protect the host page tables when we shadow a page table, and get an mmu notifier to tell us when its made writable? Seems expensive. Burying head in sand is much easier.