qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: POLL: Why do you use kqemu?

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: POLL: Why do you use kqemu?
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 17:03:26 +0300

Jan Kiszka wrote:
When kvm write protects a guest page table in the shadow page table
entries pointing to that guest page, it should also write protect the
guest page table in the host page table entries to the same guest page.

Ah, now I got it. What do other hypervisors do?

As far as I can tell, Xen's head is in the sand too. No idea about others. I think qemu/tcg is fine.

Does this still apply to nested paging? I guess (hope) not...
No, nested paging brings cancer and cures world peace.  Or something.

Well, then it's probably not worth bothering, at least until a real
guest problem is explainable with this limitation.

I agree.

Are there any
suspicious reports floating around (maybe not only about Windows)?

Not that I'm aware of. Paging page tables is tricky business. Given that the pointed-to pages may have been evicted while the page table was in swap, I guess a guest would have to revalidate the entries anyway, thus triggering re-shadowing.