qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Enable Werrror by default

From: Mark McLoughlin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Enable Werrror by default
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 14:14:46 +0100

On Thu, 2009-06-11 at 13:35 +0100, Paul Brook wrote:

> I'd like to enable Werror by default. I've been using --enable-werror locally
> for a while now, and it's been extremely useful in picking up dumb errors
> (like the recent stellaris_enet.c breakage).
>
> Any objections?
>
> You can of course configure with --disable-werror if you really want the
> force
> things to build.

Based on experiences with other projects:

  1) Release tarballs should not ship with -Werror on by default - e.g.
     new gcc comes along with new warnings and the tarball build fails
     with no benefit to anyone

  2) Anyone submitting patches should build with -Werror and make sure
     they don't introduce new warnings

  3) People with newer gcc are likely to be tripped up by warnings
     introduced by others with older gcc[1]

  4) It's debatable whether builds from git should default to -Werror -
     on the plus side it helps ensure (2) happens, on the minus side if
     a warning does sneak in, it makes life a pain for everyone until a
     fix gets applied

IMHO, we should enable it by default for git builds.

Cheers,
Mark.

[1] e.g. with gcc-4.4.0, but not with gcc-4.3.2:

  hw/virtio-blk.c:302: warning: ‘blkcfg.size_max’ is used uninitialized in this
function