qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Enable Werrror by default

From: Stuart Brady
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Enable Werrror by default
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 18:24:45 +0100

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 05:18:27PM +0200, David Turner wrote:
> Even changing compiler versions can result in very surprising things.

For this reason, amongst others, I prefer not to use -Werror by default.

I gather that changing code optimisation settings can also result in
surprising things... and then there's FORTIFY_SOURCE...

Using more specific options such as -Werror=format on versions of GCC
that support it might be more reasonable... but care needs to be taken.
-Werror[=-]implicit-function-declaration is probably a sensible one, but
note that GCC 4.4 seems to have a different name for that option than
earlier releases.

Otherwise, you can almost certainly guarantee there there will be
distributions that forget to disable -Werror, forcing you to alter their
packages to get them to build. :-(

Note also that enabling -Werror will *discourage* the use of additional
warning options that would be helpful, despite being slightly noisy.
--
Stuart Brady