qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] PowerPC 440 support

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] PowerPC 440 support
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 12:28:43 -0500

Yes, I wrote the code you quoted.

In case there is any confusion, let me restate: You can boot a Bamboo
(PowerPC 440) guest under KVM on a PowerPC 440 host. KVM bypasses
qemu's CPU emulation (TCG), but uses qemu's device emulation.
Therefore, if someone were to implement 440 core emulation in qemu,
you could boot a 440 kernel with qemu without KVM.

Most devices found on 440 SoCs are the same as or very similar to the
devices found on 405 SoCs. Qemu's 440 device emulation isn't perfect,
but because Linux is highly modular, with a modified device tree you
can boot it. See pc-bios/bamboo.dts.

-Hollis