qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] sending pci information over the wire

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] sending pci information over the wire
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 15:38:48 -0500

Glauber Costa wrote:
Sure.

Question is, whether or not there is any value in doing this now.

Doing what you proposed would be difficult to support long term. I don't think it qualifies as an interim solution. You would have to pass host configuration information in the migration protocol and that's a fundamental change to the way migration works in QEMU today.

If you assume the management application knows about the devices added, then it also knows about what the new arguments should be for QEMU. Maybe we should think about ways to delay the launching of QEMU (or at least the argument parsing) until after migration has completed.

Then, we have the ability to transfer the command line arguments (through a separate channel) similar to how ssh migration used to work.

We're really close to a machine config for pc though, I'm not sure that that's not a quicker solution.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori