qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] sending pci information over the wire

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] sending pci information over the wire
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 16:33:42 +0200

On 06/19/09 15:10, Anthony Liguori wrote:
My plan for your qdev series is to give a little more time for feedback,
then ask you to rebase/resubmit so they can be applied. Give it a couple
more days to give people a chance to review.

Good.

Likewise devtree: Paul posted the patches, got a number of reviews
comments. No discussion of the concerns happened though. There is also
no activity in Pauls git tree.

I think we're all just waiting for Paul to commit something.

Looking forward to that.

(1) How will we handle fdt and hotplug? We can keep the qdev tree
and the fdt in sync all the time. Or we generate a fresh fdt
from the qdev tree when needed (i.e. for savevm, migration and
maybe the ppc kernel).

I'd lean toward the later.

It is probably easier to handle that way.

I really like to see some progress here, otherwise 2017 wouldn't be
just a running gag.

I agree. Not every patch is reasonable to commit in 24 hours though.

Sure. Especially large, non-trivial patches need some more time to review. The oldest patches of the qdev series are out for more than a week now though.

The first one ("update pci device registration") is quite invasive and probably conflicts with everybody doing pci-related qdev work. It also fixes the fundamental issue that the code in master right now can't handle pci devices which need config space access handlers.

I think something
we could do better is avoiding losing track of patches though. I'm
working on that.

Related issues: Looks like the qemu-commits list is lossy. I havn't seen messages for my two most recent vnc patches. I figured while rebasing the vnc patches because git surprised me with "nothing to do". Also it seems for merges only a message for the merge commit goes to the list, not for the individual patches.

cheers,
  Gerd