qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [Qemu-commits] [COMMIT 537fe2d] Make sure to use SD

From: Filip Navara
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [Qemu-commits] [COMMIT 537fe2d] Make sure to use SDL_CFLAGS everywhere we includeSDL headers
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 07:17:38 +0200

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 7:02 AM, Filip Navara<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 1:45 AM, Anthony Liguori<address@hidden> wrote:
>> Filip Navara wrote:
>>>
>>> Please note that this commits breaks the Win32 port in several ways. First
>>> problem is the SDL_main definition as already pointed out on the mailing
>>> list. The other problem is that default mingw32 builds of SDL redirect
>>> stderr/stdout through the SDL_main hack (and in incorrect way too, but I
>>> will leave that for the SDL folks), so it's nearly impossible to getconsole
>>> output - ie. error messages or help.
>>
>> I have a fix in queue, but...
>>
>> For mingw32 we don't want to use SDL_main?
>
> I guess a cleaner approach would be to use SDL_main to keep the code
> simple and portable. I've seen some crashes in the the past that could
> be related to the DirectX initialization in the SDL's main wrapper. On
> the other hand it requires a custom SDL build (only libSDLmain.a, not
> the sdl.dll) and that should be documented at least.
>
>> But we want to use it for OS X?
>
> For OS X it's absolutely necessary, it initializes the QuickDraw libraries.

I've checked the latest SDL source code in their svn since the
official SDL release (1.2.13) is two years old already. SDL_main for
OS X has been removed completely and on Win32 it no longer does any of
the nasty stuff it used to do and is unnecessary too. Hopefully an
official SDL 1.3 will be released soon and none of the hacks or custom
builds will be required anymore... Wishful thinking, I know.

Best regards,
Filip Navara