qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: [patch 0/2] QEMU maxcpus support

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: [patch 0/2] QEMU maxcpus support
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 14:37:52 +0300

On 06/23/2009 01:00 PM, Jes Sorensen wrote:
Hi,

This patch set adds the -maxcpus argument to QEMU and provides the
needed patches to the BOCHS patch queue to make the BIOS use it.

Specifying -maxcpus allows the user to cap the limit of possibly cpus
of the system, as opposed to -smp which specifies the number of
running cpus at startup. This allows us to build BIOS tables
accordingly when trying to scale up in size, and it also allows for
the BIOS to build smaller tables when not needed.

I am going to submit a set of patches directly for BOCHS as well
covering the BIOS part, but I am still waiting for my bochs-developers
subscription to be enabled.

Avi asked me to post this both for QEMU and the BIOS part for BOCHS.

I should have said this at your previous post, but it only occurred to me now: we could have -smp 4,maxcpus=65536 instead of a new parameter.