qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] State of sparc64-softmmu

From: Blue Swirl
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] State of sparc64-softmmu
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 17:58:02 +0300

On 6/23/09, Paul Brook <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Monday 22 June 2009, Anthony Liguori wrote:
>  > Paul Brook wrote:
>  > >> But this leads me to wonder, is this just an oversite or is there
>  > >> something wrong with sparc64-softmmu that we don't recommend building it
>  > >> by default?
>  > >
>  > > My understanding it that there are still several large chunks remaining
>  > > to be implemented, and it can not boot any real guest operating systems.
>  >
>  > If it's not building by default, it's going to bitrot (it already has).
>

> Yes, although without any runtime tests it's still likely to suffer quite
>  badly from bitrot.

We provide openbios-sparc64 ROM image which can be used standalone for
quick tests. Then CD boot from various distro images (Linux, HelenOS,
OpenSolaris) can be tested, loading works (except for OpenSolaris) but
the kernels does not get very far. Also, Sparc32 Linux user software
can be tested with sparc32plus emulator, this tests the compatibility
mode of the CPU but not 64 bit features. I'm using the above in my
test setup.

In addition, OpenBSD/Sparc64 userland is fully 64 bits and V9, so
bsd-user can test the 64 bit CPU features. This part is not finished
yet. Booting from BSD CD images does not work.