qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] allow sysenter on 32bit guests running on vmx host

From: Filip Navara
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] allow sysenter on 32bit guests running on vmx host
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 19:48:55 +0200

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Jamie Lokier <address@hidden> wrote:
[snip]
> Fix is to set model = 3 so it'll be the duron cpu when kvm runs on
> amd bare metal (not anymore athlon but userland doesn't see the
> difference) and it'll be PII that has sysenter functional like all
> cpus that run KVM have too when on intel bare metal.

But the vendor id is AMD not Intel in this structure, and the PPro
workaround is Intel-only.

I've checked Linux kernel code, and it only disables the sep feature
if the vendor is GenuineIntel, on old and current kernels.

So your patch should make no difference to Linux guests.  Did you
check Linux behaviour?  Does Windows ignore the vendor id?

No, it doesn't ignore the vendor, at least not on NT 5.2 (Windows Server 2003) and newer kernels. I'm pretty sure it wasn't ignored even in Windows XP, older systems didn't implement it.

Best regards,
Filip Navara