qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Threads and win32

From: Jamie Lokier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Threads and win32
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 13:58:46 +0100

Sebastian Herbszt wrote:
> vl.c:3873: warning: implicit declaration of function `sigaction'
> vl.c:3887: error: `SIGUSR1' undeclared (first use in this function)
> vl.c:3881: error: `SIGUSR2' undeclared (first use in this function)
> vl.c:3882: error: `SIGIO' undeclared (first use in this function)
> vl.c:3883: error: `SIGALRM' undeclared (first use in this function)

It's not surprising.

WIN32 doesn't have unix-style signals :-)

WIN32 doesn't have pthreads either, but there's a
pthread-compatibility library people often use.  That provides
pthreads emulation but not signal emulation.  WIN32 does provide
threads and locking primitives, and it's not too painful to build
pthreads on t top of that.

To emulate signals you really have to use Cygwin or one of the other
unix-on-WIN32 emulation packages.  Or change the code to not use signals.

WIN32 has native async I/O, by the way.  I don't know if it's
suitable, especially since we found how broken Linux async I/O is
despite the simple API, but Windows has had it since the early 90s
(all versions derived from Windows NT) and inherited the design from
VMS, so it's probably in good shape.

-- Jamie