qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Intel 440bx hardware emulation correctness

From: Cristi Magherusan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Intel 440bx hardware emulation correctness
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 19:37:53 +0300

On Sun, 2009-07-26 at 14:35 +0300, Cristi Magherusan wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Does qemu aim to completely emulate the Intel 440bx northbridge hardware
> (and maybe other) to detail, or instead does it on purpose skip some
> parts for the sake of simplicity?
>
> As an example, I've seen that the RAM parameters are written in CMOS
> instead of doing it using SPD and some RAM control registers, as
> documented in the 440 datasheet.
>
> This only affects the BIOS code that does RAM detection, so the Bochs
> BIOS code would also need to be changed accordingly.

Actually, in fact I'm interested to find out wether there are other
differences between qemu and a real 440bx-based motherboard, besides RAM
detection.

I'm asking because I'm willing to rewrite the coreboot qemu support code
based on the generic northbridge/southbridge code.

Thanks,
Cristi

--
Ing. Cristi Măgherușan, System/Network Engineer
Technical University of Cluj-Napoca, Romania