qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Qemu snapshot mode: /tmp/vl.xxx file missing?

From: Atoosah
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Qemu snapshot mode: /tmp/vl.xxx file missing?
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 09:53:57 -0700

When using the -snapshot mode of Qemu, shouldn't the vl.xxx file that is created be visible in the host /tmp directory?

I use the command: $qemu -snapshot -hda disk_image.img -m 256

which seems to write the file to /tmp/vl.xxx where xxx is some random filename chosen by Qemu during every boot (I see this by commenting [QEMU_PATH]/block.c I'm using a modified version of qemu-0.8.2 on a Linux machine, but I also can't find the vl.xxx file that's created using qemu-0.9.0.

In the documentation, it says that when using snapshot mode "When sectors in [misspelling] in written, they are written in a temporary file created in '/tmp'..." but i cannot see the file that is supposedly created on the host directory /tmp (or in QEMU_PATH directory). Where is Qemu actually writting to in snapshot mode, before commit ever occurs?

Any suggestions and ideas would be helpful.

thank you,
Atoosaah