qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: qemu-kvm segfaults in qemu_del_timer (0.10.5 and 0.10.6

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: qemu-kvm segfaults in qemu_del_timer (0.10.5 and 0.10.6)
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 18:38:40 +0300

On 08/12/2009 06:01 PM, Chris Webb wrote:
I have a couple of clusters hosting qemu-kvm virtual machines. One of these
clusters consists of dual quad-core Xeon E5420s (vmx), the other consists of
dual quad-core Barcelona Opterons (svm), and both are running x86-64 Linux
2.6.30.4 with the kvm modules included with the upstream kernel compiled in.

Running qemu-kvm 0.10.5, I was seeing occasional segfaults from the virtual
machines, perhaps two or three a day across each cluster. The guest OS didn't
appear to be a factor, as both Linux and Windows VMs have crashed. I then
switched to the recently released qemu-kvm 0.10.6, and am still seeing these
segfaults.

It's very hard for me to arrange for core dumps on these live clusters, and the
segfaults are hard to reproduce on test machines because they are rare.
However, I have unstripped copies of the respective binaries and have used gdb
to translate the segfault ip into a source file and line number, which I hope
might be useful. On both clusters and for each version of qemu-kvm, segfaults
are happening at lines #1161 and #1163 of vl.c:

I understand it's hard, but it's nearly impossible to work out the problem from so little data, so please do make the effort to obtain dumps.