qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: virtio-serial: An interface for host-guest communic

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: virtio-serial: An interface for host-guest communication
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 08:29:28 -0500

Amit Shah wrote:
On (Mon) Aug 10 2009 [11:59:31], Anthony Liguori wrote:
However, as I've mentioned repeatedly, the reason I won't merge virtio-serial is that it duplicates functionality with virtio-console. If the two are converged, I'm happy to merge it. I'm not opposed to having more functionality.

The guest code sort-of ends up looking like this after merging
virtio_console into virtio_serial. Diff is against virtio_serial in my
git tree, but that should be pretty close to the last submission I made
at

http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/39335/

or the tree at

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/amit/vs-kernel.git

I've merged bits from virtio_console.c into virtio_serial.c. If needed,
virtio_serial can be renamed to virtio_console. The VIRITIO_ID also
needs to change to that of virtio_console's.

Similar changes are needed for userspace.

Since there's support for only one console as of now, I've assigned port
#2 as the console port so that we hook into hvc when a port is found at
that location.

One issue that crops up for put_chars: a copy of the buffer to be sent
has to be made as we don't wait for host to ack the buffer before we
move on.

The biggest loss so far is Rusty's excellent comments: they will have to
be reworked and added for the whole of the new file.

Is this approach acceptable?

I think we want to keep virtio_console.c and definitely continue using the virtio_console id. It looks like you are still creating character devices as opposed to tty devices. Is this just an incremental step or are you choosing to not do tty devices for a reason (as if so, what's that reason)?

Regards,

Anthony Liguori