qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Why do rsync and scp stall when transferring files from hos

From: Atoosah
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Why do rsync and scp stall when transferring files from host to guest?
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 13:11:33 -0700

When I scp or rsync a file several MBs from host Linux machine to guest Linux machine (both CentOS), the transfer starts at several hundred KB/s but slows down pretty quickly until it eventually "stalls". I've found a strange solution which is that if the guest machine pings the host at intervals then it keeps the connection from stalling (with a rate of about 10 to 20 KB/s). pinging works fine, but why does secure transfer have problems with maintaining a stable connection when transfering a single decent sized file?

I've tried rebooting the machine to no avail :-(

scp command used: $scp somefile.gz address@hidden:/directory_path/

rsync command used: $rsync -av somefile.gz --rsh=ssh address@hidden:/directory_path/

thank you,
Atoosah