qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Breakage with local APIC routing

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Breakage with local APIC routing
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 13:48:57 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009, Jan Kiszka wrote:

> Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> >> So we are likely on the wrong path. Maybe we have to understand what
> >> happens here first...

> >> Would be interesting to know
> >>  - if pic_irq_request is continuously called or if it stops when windows
> >>    hangs
> >>  - what IRQ vectors are delivered
> >>  - in what state the apic is, namely the s->lvt[APIC_LVT_LINT0]
> >
> > Sorry for the long delay.  I just don't have time to take care of the
> > issue, but I quickly verified that it still does not work, with aa0cba4
> > (Aug 13 2009).
> >
> > If you are still interested in this issue, could you give me a hint
> > _where_ I should output _which_ values?  I'll gladly take time for that
> > now.
>
> If some OS does not properly install due to a possible emulation bug, I
> am interested, for sure. Let's restart this by specifying the test case
> more precisely: What version of Windows are you trying to install?

As far as I remember, it is a plain version of 64-bit XP Pro.  (Maybe it
is a custom .iso for my day-job, but I think this is not the case).

> What is your qemu command line?

test -h pc-bios/keymaps || ln -s ../keymaps pc-bios/

./x86_64-softmmu/qemu-system-x86_64 \
        -L pc-bios/ \
        -m 1024 \
        -monitor stdio \
        -k en-us \
        -hda w64.img \
        -cdrom en_win_xp_pro_x64bit.iso \
        -fda fat:fat \
        -boot d \
        -net none \
        -localtime

> Where does the installation fail?

"Setup is starting Windows". (Just after "Setup is loading files (...)"
phase.)

> Are there specific steps required during the installation to reproduce
> the problem?

You need a 64-bit XP Pro, then call the command line as I did.  It hangs
at

        (qemu) info cpus
        * CPU #0: pc=0xfffff800010cabeb

This is 100% reproducible.

> And one more question: Did you check that you were using the
> corresponding BIOS to aa0cba4?

Yes, I always use -L pc-bios/ in the same Git working directory, and I
just verified that indeed, the source is clean.

A tiny, gentle reminder: the revision which is now available as 0e21e12b
introduced this particular breakage.

Ciao,
Dscho