qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Breakage with local APIC routing

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Breakage with local APIC routing
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:27:18 +0300

On 08/26/2009 10:31 AM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
Very strange problem: I managed to get past this "Setup is starting
Windows", but only when using KVM mode (both -enable-kvm from upstream
as well as w/ or w/o -no-kvm-irqchip from qemu-kvm). It still takes ages
(several minutes), but it works. The version before the commit you
pointed out does not take so much time for this step.

So we may see two issues here: some x86 emulation problem in TCG mode
plus some IRQ delivery incorrectness.

Did anyone here recently try to install XP-64 (desktop or server) into
qemu or qemu-kvm recently?

I install XP x64 regularly as part of kvm-autotest. I don't recall any special slowness (well there was b4a2f5e723 hitting the text-mode installer, but it only affects smp).

Can you confirm long delays or hangs during
"Setup is starting Windows" (early text-mode installer)?

From the very early days of kvm, that screen was pretty hard to get past.