qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [GIT PULL] 0.10.7 stable release

From: Chris Webb
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [GIT PULL] 0.10.7 stable release
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 18:50:41 +0100

Glauber Costa <address@hidden> writes:

> These are the patches I am proposing for 0.10.7 stable release. If you
> disagree
> with any of them, or think a patch should go in that is not in this list, let
> me know

I have seen a large number of failures of production qemu-kvm virtual
machines with segfaults in the VNC code. (Thread rooted at
<address@hidden>.)

Avi pointed out Gerd's patch 198a00:

http://git.qemu.org/qemu.git/commit/?id=198a0039c5fca224a77e9761e2350dd9cc102ad0

which I backported <address@hidden>:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2009-08/msg00949.html

This has massively reduced the crash rate of qemu-kvm processes across our
clusters, although I still do a see a (much rarer) vnc-related segfault in
vnc_framebuffer_update().

Although these use-after-free problems were seen in qemu-kvm, the code (and
patch) are identical in standard qemu so I'd strongly recommend this
backport of Gerd's patch for qemu-stable 0.10.7.

Best wishes,

Chris.