qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Breakage with local APIC routing

From: Juergen Lock
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Breakage with local APIC routing
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 23:18:48 +0200

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 07:56:41PM +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> Juergen Lock wrote:

> >> I think at least those issues should be solved with recent qemu and
> >> bioses. Note that this report refers to a fairly old qemu version
> >> (0.10.0-derived).
> >
> > Btw I had reported the same symptom as in that ubuntu ticket for FreeBSD 8
> > hosts both with 0.10.6 and 0.11.0rc1 before:
> >     http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2009-08/msg00396.html
> > As mentioned in that post I was able to work around the issue by passig
> > the linux guest kernels `no_timer_check' after which they seemed to boot up
> > just fine, so I suspect in that case its not actually an apic routing
> > problem but just guest timer irqs arriving late/irregularly which cause
> > the guest kernel timer checks to time out and fail.
>
> Does this happen with git head and its corresponding bios, too? I cannot
> imagine that the FreeBSD platform is so irregularly generating timer
> events for qemu that Linux gets unhappy during this test loop (I think
> to remember it needs 3 out of 10 ticks or so to be satisfied).

Alright so I testwise updated the FreeBSD qemu-devel port to git head
(db3c9e08e0d6eaf83f9d7a2c87dc45af3ac8f4dd, update at
        http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/qemu/qemu-devel-20090829.patch
) - and can report the problem still exists.  (btw pcap seems to be
broken in that patch which was stll working with the 0.11 snapshot,
will have to take care of that later...)

 Thanx,
        Juergen