qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How does QEMU kernel receive any input events from hos

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How does QEMU kernel receive any input events from host OS
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 16:32:21 -0700

the QEMU frontend (e.g. the VNC server or the SDL window) is in charge of translating user events
into emulated hardware ones. Most generally, this will mean emulating a keyboard or mouse IRQ
and the associated i/o protocol. Exact details depend on which hardware you want to emulate.

For example, when emulating a PC with PS/2 keyboard and mouse, the code in hw/ps2.c will be used.

Here's a concrete example:

The SDL front-end receives user events differently, but still ends up calling kbd_put_keycode().
Same thing happens for mouse events, and about anything that needs to emulate hardware
(e.g. serial/usb/bluetooth/etc...) but implementations and specifics may differ.

Hope this helps