qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Support NEC PC-98x1 on QEMU

From: Stuart Brady
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Support NEC PC-98x1 on QEMU
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 20:58:17 +0100

Takeda-san,

> This is the patch to support NEC PC-98x1 on QEMU.

Ooh, awesome! :)

Some hopefully useful feedback, though...

There's no need to add this as a whole new architecture, although
perhaps the use of TARGET_PC98 was only meant to be temporary...

As the patch isn't against the latest code in Git, I suppose it's not
intended for inclusion just yet...  Still, it'd be nice to see it
cleaned up slightly, and applied! :)

AFAICT, the only PC98-specific behaviour in existing source files
relates to handling of:

 * DMA
 * i82078 floppy controller
 * i8259 interrupt controler
 * A20 gate

The only truly CPU-specific feature that I can see is the A20 gate
handling.  While I don't understand why (or whether) that particular
change is needed, it could certainly be done without any #ifdefs.
For the other changes, I expect that it needs to be made clear that
they really are PC98-specific, and that they are not just workarounds.

BTW, I think most subscribers to this list (and particularly the
maintainers) will be more likely to look at patches if they included
inline, or attached as text/plain (with the -N flag to include new
files in your patch).  Zip format can be a slight disincentive for
review by those with no special interest in the patch in question...

Looks like great work, though!

Cheers,
--
Stuart Brady