qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Support NEC PC-98x1 on QEMU

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Support NEC PC-98x1 on QEMU
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 16:36:04 +0200

On 08.09.2009, at 11:41, 武田 俊也 wrote:

Dear Stuart,

There's no need to add this as a whole new architecture, although
perhaps the use of TARGET_PC98 was only meant to be temporary...

The problem is that now TARGET_I386 is used for both 2 meanings,
cpu is i386 and the arch is PC/AT.

No, that's what the -M switch is there for. Admittedly x86 has rather few machine descriptions, but PC-98 really is just a "non-PC/AT" machine, so it belongs there.

[...]

About A20 line gate:

In PC/AT arch, only A20 line is masked and when cpu is reseted it is not masked. You know, In PC-98x1 arch, A20 and upper lines are masked and when cpu is reseted
they are masked.

Now A20 gate is hard-corded in i386 core, but it is only PC/AT specifications
probably by external circuts, not cpu internal.
It may be possibly better to move a20 gate codes to pc.c and pc98.c,
but I think it is allowable to keep them in cpu core with #ifdef for each arch.

Sounds like that should be a config variable in the CPU description, so you can set the default CPU be "486,+a20mask" or so.

In general, all the changes should be runtime variable dependent, so the same binary can run PC/AT and PC-98.

Alex