qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] The State of the SaveVM format

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] The State of the SaveVM format
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 15:08:03 +0300

On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 09:02:07PM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
>>   If we complicate vmstate now to shoehorn pre-vmstate
>> formats into vmstate, that ancient history will continue to haunt us.
>> Complicating a program is far easier than the other direction.
>>

> Let's take it one step at a time.  There is an awful lot of areas where
> we can support older versions without adding complications.  Let's
> approach the complicated ones one at a time.

I'm not sure I understand this talk about "pre-vmstate formats".
I thought vmstate patches were, at least for the most part, trying
to reimplement existing format with the table-driver design?

If that's not so and we are changing the format now, is it too late to
consider some standard serialization format rather than rolling our own?

--
MST